According to the Ministry of Education regulations, the University Board is comprised of the following:
- Minister of Higher Education (Chairman of the Board)
- University Rector (Vice Chairman of the Board)
- University Vice-Rectors
- Secretary-General of the Higher Education Council
- Three experts nominated by the Minister of Higher Education for three years
In compliance with the stipulations of these and other regulations and in conformity with the resolutions of the Higher Education Council, the University Board shall handle the academic, administrative and financial issues as well as the implementation of the university general policy, particularly:
- Adopt the training and scholarship plan.
- Suggest the establishment of colleges, institutes, departments, research centers and supporting deanships as well as suggest amending their titles, merging or dissolving them.
- Approve the academic majors and higher studies programs.
- Award academic certificates to university graduates.
- Award honorary doctorates.
- Set the detailed university calendar according to the general agenda of the courses and the holidays in between.
- Transfer faculty members, put them in charge of scientific missions, grant them sabbatical leaves and ensure they end their service according to the applicable rules.
- Approve the curricula, syllabi, determined textbooks and references according to the proposal of the council of colleges and specialized institutes.
- Propose the different remunerations and aids allotted to students.
- Approve the university budget project and submit it to the Higher Education Minister.
- Approve the university internal regulations that do not entail any financial or functional characteristics.
- Propose or amend the university regulations.
- Discuss the annual report as a preamble to present it before the Higher Education Council.
- Determine the monies allocated for each college, institute, supporting deanship and independent research center to be spent within the limits of the financial regulations.
- Discuss the university end of year account as a preamble to submit it to the Prime Minister.
- Approve the university's non-academic activity plans.
- Decide upon appointing the faculty members as per the Academic Council recommendations.
- Accept donations, endowments, contributions and others, provided they do not conflict with the main purpose of the university establishment.
- Set the rules that organize visiting or transferred students from and to the university.
- Examine the matters referred by the Minister of Higher Education or the University Rector or those suggested by any member of the Board.
- The Board may form permanent or interim committees consisting or not of some of its members to examine the tasks it may assign to them.
The Board shall convene upon the call of its Chairman at least once a month; the Chairman may call on the Board to convene should need be, and he must do so should one third of the Board members submit to him a written request thereof. The Minister of Higher Education may request to list a matter on the Board agenda or postpone it before the Board is convened. The Board meetings shall not be deemed valid unless attended by at least two thirds of its members. The Board secretariat shall be taken up by one of its members who shall be nominated by the Board and approved by the Chairman.
The Board decisions are issued by absolute majority of the votes cast by the attending members. Should a tie be reached, the side that got the Chairman's vote shall have the final say.
- Standing Committee for Scholarships and Training
- Standing Committee for Tutors' Affairs, Lecturers, Language Instructors and Research Assistants
- Standing Committee for Parallel, Continuing and E-Learning
- Standing Committee for Preparatory Year
- Standing Committee for Plans and Educational System
- Standing Committee for Students' Cases
- Standing Committee for Job Competitions and Promotions
- Standing Committee for Direct Purchase
- Standing Committee for Sealing off Envelopes
- Consultative Establishing Standing Committee
- Standing Committee for Inspection of Offers
- Standing Committee for Administrative & Financial Affairs
- Standing Committee for Timetables
- Standing Committee for Setting the Strategic Plan
- Standing Committee for Pioneering Programs
- Standing Committee for Considering Computer Allowance for Staff Members and the Like
- Standing Committee for Deciding Specialties for Male & Female Students who Have Passed PY
- Standing Committee for Admission Programs.
- Standing Committee for preparing the annual report.
- Standing Committee for the adoption of materials and specifications of projects in the University City.
Brief Summary about the Scientific Council
The Scientific Council supervises the scientific affairs of the staff members, research affairs, studies and publishing. It is comprised of the following:
- The University Principal for Postgraduate Studies and Scientific Research – Chairman.
- One staff member from each college or institute who is at least an Associate Professor. They will be designated by decision of the University Council at the college or institute council recommendation and the NU President approval.
It is permissible to include more members by decision of the University Council.
The Scientific Council Duties:
- Recommend the appointment of staff members.
- Discuss academic promotions to staff members in accordance with the rules of the Higher Education Council.
- Encourage scientific research, authorship, translation and publishing, through the following activities:
a. Set rules to encourage scientific research.
b. Suggest the establishment of scientific research centers.
c. Coordinate and plan between research centers.
d. Make contact with research centers outside the university.
e. Specify encouraging and symbolic awards for scientific contributions, arrange arbitration and payment.
f. Publish research and dissertations deemed suitable for publication.
g. Recommend issuing of periodicals.
h. Recommend the establishment of scientific societies and museums, and coordinate among them.
i. Decide about the referred textbooks and dissertations that need revision
4. Evaluate academic degrees submitted by Saudi staff members.
5. Discuss whatever is referred by the University Council.
Scientific Council Meetings
The Scientific Council convenes upon the invitation of its Chairman at least once a month. The Chairman has the right to call for a meeting whenever the necessity arises, or if two thirds of the members ask for a meeting, or upon the request of the University President who can ask for the addition of any item he deems suitable to the agenda. The University President has the right to chair the meetings if he is present. The meetings quorum is two thirds of the members.