1. Personal Information
Name: Mohammed Bin Ibrahim Abdulaziz Al-Hassan
Date of promotion: 1/6/1411 A.H.
Current address: Najran- Najran University P.O. Box 1988
Date and place of birth: 1/7/1377 H, Al-Horayyq Al-Washam, Saudi Arabia
2. Academic qualifications
- B.Sc. in Chemistry, College of Sciences- King Saud University- Riyadh, 18/7/1397 A.H. corresponding to 4/7/1977 A.D.
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry- University of California- Davis-USA, 5/2/1403 A. H. corresponding to 11/12/1982 AD.
- Thesis: The Utility of Bremovinylsilane in Organic Synthesis.
3. Positions and Academic History
1. Professor in the Chemistry Department- King Saud University- 1/6/1411 H.
2. Associate Professor in the Chemistry Department- King Saud University- from 24/3/1407 H until 1/6/1411 H.
3. Assistant Professor in the Chemistry Department- King Saud University- from 24/3/1403 H until 24/3/1407 H.
4. Lecturer in the Chemistry Department- King Saud University- 1397/ 1398 H.
1. Head of Chemistry Department- King Saud University from 5/4/1414 H till 25/12/1415 H.
2. Vice-Rector of Academic Affairs at the College of Sciences from 2/9/1415 H until 29/5/1418 H.
3. Dean of the College of Sciences from 30/5/1418 H until 18/8/1422 H.
4. Vice-Rector of King Saud University for Educational and Academic Affairs from 9/8/1422 H till 18/8/1428 H.
5. Rector of Najran University from 14/11/1428 H to date.
Abdul Hamid Shoman Prize (Amman- Jordan) in Basic Sciences for 1411 H corresponding to 1991 AD.
Other activities and memberships on committees:
5.1. At the level of the Department (King Saud University)
1. Member of the Organic Chemistry Committee since 1403 H/ 1982 AD and Rapporteur of the same for the academic year 1412/1413 H.
2. Rapporteur of the Industrial Chemistry Committee (1405- 1407 H.)
3. Member of the Environmental Chemistry Committee (1405-1406 H).
4. Member of the Department Council since 24/03/1403 H, Secretary of the same for the academic year 1409/1410 H and President of the same from 5/4/1414 until 18/8/1428 H.
5.2. At the level of the College (King Saud University)
1.Member of the College Council for the year 1409/1410 H and also from 15/4/1414 H until 30/5/1418 H, then President of the same until 18/8/1422 H.
2.Editor-in-chief of King Saud University Magazine (Sciences) from 10/3/1413 until 24/4/1419 H.
3.Rapporteur of the College's Committee of Lecturers and Distinguished from 2/9/1415 until 29/5/1418H.
4.Rapporteur of the College's Plans Committee from 2/9/1415 until 29/5/1418 H.
5.Rapporteur of the College's Students Affairs Committee from 2/9/1415 until 29/5/1418 H.
6.Member of the College's Discipline Committee from 2/9/1415 until 29/5/1418 H.
7.Vice-President of the College's Examination Committee from 2/9/1415 until 29/5/1418 H, and President of the same from 30/5/1418 until 18/08/1422 H.
8.Chairman of the College's Research Center Board of Directors from 30/5/1418 until 18/8/1422 H.
5.3. At the level of the University (King Saud University)
1. Member of King Saud University Magazine editorial staff from 10/3/1413 until 4/4/1419 H.
2. Member of the Council of the Medical Sciences and Studies Departments from 2/9/1415 until 29/5/1418 H.
3. Member of the University's Transferring Committee from 30/5/1418 until 30/5/1424 H.
4. Member of the University Board from 30/5/1418 until 8/8/1428 H.
5. Member of the Standing Committee of Plans and Educational System from 11/11/1418 until 18/8/1422, and President of the same from 19/8/1422 until 18/08/1428 H.
6. Member of the Preparatory Committee for the College of Sciences- Qassim Branch for the year 1418/1419 H.
7. Member of the Advisory Standing Committee for the University Libraries as of 16/12/1418 and for two years.
8. Member of the University's Female Students Education Assessment Committee for the year 1419/ 1420 H.
9. Member of the University's Seventh Five-Year Plan Committee for the year 1419/ 1420 H.
10.Member of the Standing Committee for Supervising the University's Participation in the National Festival for Heritage and Culture from 12/6/1421 until 18/8/1422 H.
11.Member of the Higher Commission for the Follow-up of the Committees' Work at the University from 15/3/1422 until 18/8/1428 H.
12.President of the Standing Committee for the Discipline of Staff Members and their Likes from 19/8/1422 until 18/8/1428 H.
13.President of the Standing Committee for Organizing Grant Holders Admission from 19/8/1422 till 18/8/1428 H.
14.President of the Standing Committee for Educational Trips from 19/8/1422 till 18/8/1428H.
15.President of the Standing Committee for Examining Pay Raise Demands for Staff Members and Doctors from 19/8/1422 until 18/8/1428 H.
16.President of the Committee for the Follow-up of Students' Accommodation Occupancy as of 19/8/1422 and for two years.
17.President of the committee for examining the consistency of certain departments and majors at the University as of 19/8/1422 H and for two years.
18.President of the Cooperative Education Standing Committee as of 19/8/1422 H and for two years.
19.President of the committee identifying the clinical majors practiced by staff members in hospitals as of 19/8/1422 H and for two years.
20.President of the advisory standing committee in charge of students' issues from 23/11/1422 till 18/8/1428 H.
21.Member of the Higher Standing Commission for Celebrating the University's Fiftieth Anniversary as of 17/5/1425 and for two years.
22.Prepared memorandums for the University Board and obtained approval thereof from 1422 to 1428 H for establishing 44 new colleges and restructuring the existing ones.
5.4. At the level of the University (Najran University)
1. Vice-Chairman of the University Board since 14/11/1428 H.
2. President of a number of standing committees at the University such as the Committees of Plans,Deans and Students' Cases as well as the Founding Committee etc.since 14/11/1428 H.
5.5. At the national level
1.Part-time consultant at SABIC Co. for 1404/1405 H corresponding to 1984/1985 AD.
2.Part-time consultant at the military factories for a year 1405/1406 H corresponding to 1985/1986 AD.
3.Participated in the evaluation and follow-up of research projects for King Abdul Aziz City for Science and Technology, as well as for other parties.
4.Principal researcher in the research supported by King Abdul Aziz City for Science and Technology for three years 1405-1408 H corresponding to 1985-1988 AD.
5.Scientific overseer of the Air Forces Course on the Prevention against Chemical, Biological and Nuclear Weapons 1407/1408 H corresponding to 1987/1988 AD.
6.Participated in the Civil Defense Course on the Prevention against Chemical, Biological and Nuclear Weapons 1408/1409 H corresponding to 1988/1989 AD.
7.Participated in the development of the Civil Defense Institute syllabi for three years 1409-1412 H corresponding to 1989-1992 AD.
8.Participated in the development of the courses of Riyadh College of Technology 1410 H corresponding to 1991 AD.
9.Member of the Higher Commission for the Prevention against Chemical Warfare 1411 H.
10.Part-time consultant of the Ministry of Defense for the year 1418/1419 H corresponding to 1997/1998 AD.
11.Member of the National Commission for Implementing the Chemical Weapons Convention from 1418 until 1424 H.
12.Member of the Advisory Council for Implementing the Science and Technology Development Strategy in Islamic Countries from 19/11/1421 H to date.
13.President of Qassim University Central Committee for the year 1424/1425 H.
14.President of Qassim University Restructuring Committee for the year 1424/1425 H.
15.Member of Al-Jouf University Steering Committee for the year 1427/1428 H.
16.Member of the Investment Council in Najran Region from 1/3/1429 H to date.
17.Member of the Higher Council for Higher Education from 14/11/1428 H to date.
6. Conferences and symposia
1.Conference on Fluorocarbons – Specifications and Standards Commission- Riyadh 1405 H/ 1985 AD.
2.Conference on Petrochemical Industries- King Abdul Aziz City for Science and Technology- Riyadh 1405 H/ 1985 AD.
3.Conference on Genetic Engineering- Kind Saud University- Riyadh 14/4/1408 H.
4.International Conference on the Environment- Ministry of Municipalities and Rural Affairs- Riyadh 27/5/1418 H.
5.International Conference on Twenty-First Century Sciences- Budapest 3/3/1420 H.
6.A number of conferences and symposia accompanying national meetings of the Saudi Chemical Society.
7.A number of conferences and symposia accompanying the meetings of vice-rectors and rectors of Gulf, Arab and Islamic universities from 19/8/1422 H to date.
He taught the following Organic Chemistry courses at bachelor level:
[106Chem, 108Chem, 244Chem, 245Chem, 249Chem, 344Chem, 349Chem, 444Chem, 445Chem, 449Chem, 498Chem, 540Chem, 600Chem, 640Chem]
He also taught the following Organic Chemistry courses at Higher Education levels:
[540Chem (Masters), 600Chem (Masters' research project), 640Chem (PhD)]
1. Al-Hassan, M.(1405). Chemical Industries and their Future in KSA(1sd edition). Riyadh. Alkheraiji Library.
2. Al-Hassan, M."Chemical, Biological and Nuclear Weapons" in KSA, Riyadh, (first edition 1406 H),Third edition 1422/2002, Alkheraiji Library.
3. Al-Hassan, M. Al-Hazimi, H: "Principles of Organic Chemistry" in KSA Riyadh, (first edition 1406 H),Fifth edition 1429/2008, Alkheraiji Library,
4. Al-Hazimi .H , Al-Hassan, M: "Organic Chemistry" in KSA , Riyadh, (first edition 1406 H)Fifth edition 1428/2007, Alkheraiji Library.
5. Al-Hassan .M: " Organometallics in Organic Synthesis" in KSA , Riyadh,First edition 1407/1987, Alkheraiji Library,
6.Al-Hassan .M, Al-Motaz . I: "Environment Pollutants" in KSA , Riyadh,Third edition 1419/1999, Alkheraiji Library, (First edition 1408H)
7.Al-Motaz . I, Al-Hassan. M: "Safety in Laboratories and Chemical Factories" in KSA , , Riyadh Third edition 1418/1997, Alkheraiji Library, (first edition 1408H)
8. Al-Hassan .M: "Narcotics and Drug Dependence" in KSA , Riyadh,First edition 1408/1988, Alkheraiji Library.
9. Al-Hassan .M: "Practical experiments in Organic Chemistry" in KSA , Riyadh ,First edition 1409/1989, Alkheraiji Library.
10. Al-Hassan .M, Al-Motaz. I: "How and Why They Became Muslims" in KSA, Riyadh,Second edition 1418/1997, Alkheraiji Library, (first edition 1409 H)
11. Al-Hassan .M, Al-Hazimi. H: "The Organic Chemistry Problem Solver" in KSA,First edition 1409/1989, Alkheraiji Library, Riyadh.
12. Al-Lohedan .H, Al-Hassan. M, Al-Diab. S: "Heterogeneous Biological Cyclic Compounds" In KSA, Riyadh Second edition 1417/1996, Deanship of Libraries Affairs, King Saud University (first edition 1410 H)
13.Al-Hassan .M, Al-Motaz. I: "General and Applied Chemistry" in KSA, Riyadh ,First edition 1412/1991, Alkheraiji Library.
14. Al-Hassan .M: "Civil Protection" in KSA , Riyadh First edition 1412/1991, Alkheraiji Library.
15.Al-Hassan. M, Al-Diab .S, Al-Lohedan. H: "Aromatic Organic Chemistry" in KSA, Riyadh First edition 1413/1992, Deanship of Libraries Affairs, King Saud University.
8.1. publications in Journals:
1.Miller, R.B., al-Hassan, M.I. and McGarvey, G., 1-Bromo-1- (Trimethyl)-1-Alkenes. A Synthin for both the Carbonyl Anion and Cation, Synth. Commun., 13, pp.969-975 (1983).
2.Miller, R.B. and Al-Hassan, M.I., Asingle synthon for the (E)-B-Formylvinul Anion and Cation, Tetrahedron Lett., 24, pp.2055-2058 (1983).
3.Miller, R.B. and Al-Hassan, M.I., Stereospecific Synthesis of Hudroxyl-Dofferetiated (E)- and (Z)-1-4-Eenediols, J.Org. Chem., 48, pp.4113-4116 (1983).
4.Miller, R.B. and Al-Hassan, M.I., A Highly Stereoselective Synthesis of 1-Halo-1-(trimethylsilyl)-2,2-dialkyl olefins, J. Org., 49, pp.725-726 (1984).
5.Miller, R.B. and Al-Hassan, M.I., Stereospecific Synthesis of (z)-Tamoxifen via carbometalation of Alkynylsilanes, J.Org. Chem., 50, pp.2121-2123 (1985).
6.Al-Hassan, M.I., Stereospecific Oxidation of Allylic Alcohols, Gazzetta Chemica italiana, 115, pp.441 (1985).
7.Al-Hassan, M.I. and Al-Lohedan, H.A., Carboalumination of Alkynes-Synthesis of substituted olefins, J. Coll. Sci., KSU, 16, pp.243-251 (1985).
8.Al-Hassan, M.I., Hydroalumination of Diphenylacetylene, Synth. Commun., 16, pp. 353-356 (1986).
9.Al-Hassan, M.I., Synthesis of 1,1-dihalo-2,2-dialkyl olefins, J.Chem. Soc., 8, pp.379 (1986).
10.Al-Hassan, M.I., Carboalumination of Diphenylacetylene, Synth. Commun., 17, pp.383-586 (1987).
11.Al-Hassan, M.I., Synthesis of cis and trans-Tamoxifen, Synth. Commun., 17, pp.1247-1251 (987).
12.Al-Hassan, M.I., A Single-step Synthesis of Tamoxifen, using Palladium Catalyzed Cross-Coupling, Synthesis, 9, pp.816-817 (1987).
13.Al-Hassan, M.I., Synthesis of Clomid Using Palladium-Catalyzed Coss-Coupling, Synth. Commun., 17, pp.1787-1786 (1987).
14.Al-Hassan, M.I., Palladium-Catalyzed Cross-Coupling of Vinylalanes with Aryl Halides, Synth. Commun., 17, pp.1413-1420 (1987).
15.Al-Hassan, M.I., A One Step Synthesis of Broparestrol, Synthesis, 9, pp.815-816 (1987).
16.Hassan, M.I., Synthesis of Broparestrol Using Palladium-Catalyzed Cross-Coupling, J.Organomet.Chem., 321, pp.119-121(1987).
17.Al-Hassan, M.I., Selective Aromatization of Cyclohexenone, Gazzetta Chemica Italiana, 177, pp.187-188 1987).
18.Al-Hassan, M.I., Synthesis of Highly Substituted, Sterically Hindered Olefins via C-C Coupling Using Pd' as Catalyst., J.Coll. Sci., KSU, 18, pp.103-105 (1987).
19.Al-Hassan, M.I., The Utility of Palladium-Catalyzed Cross-Coupling in the Synthesis of Substituted Olefins, J.Coll. Sci., KSU, 19, pp.137-149 (1988).
20.Al-Hassan, M.I., Conversion of Stilbene to Trisubstituted Olefins, Synth. Commun., 19, pp.463-472 (1989).
21.Al-Hassan, M.I., Conversion of 19-Nortestosterone to B-Estradiol, Snth. Commun., 19, pp.453-461 (1989).
22.Al-Hassan, M.I., Halogenation of Alkynes and Alkynylsilane, J.Organomet. Chem., 372, pp.183-186 (1989).
23.Al-Hassan, M.I., Synthesis of Hydroxytamoxifen, Synth. Commun., 19, pp.1619-1623 (1989).
24.Al-Najjar and Al-Hassan, M.I., Binuclear Complexes of Rhodium Bridged by Some New Bifunctional Anionic Ligands, Spectrochimica Acta, 45A, pp. 1047-1052 (1989).
25.Al-Hassan, M.I., Al-Najjat, I.M. and Ahmed, M.M., Synthesis and Carbon-13 NMR Analysis of Some Organo-selenium Compounds, Spectrochimica Acta, 45A, pp.1011-1014 (1989).
26.Al-Hassan, M.I., Al-Najjar, I.M. and Al-Oraify, I.M., 29Si and 13C-NMR Spectra of Alkenyl and Alkenyltrimethyl-"silanes, Magnetic Resonance Chem., 27, pp.1112-1116 (1989).
27.Al-Hassan,M.I.,Sunhesis of N,N,N-Trietthyl-2-[4-(-phenylethenyl) phenoxy]ethanommonium Iodide, Synth. Commun., 19, pp.1677-1680 (1989).
28.Al-Hassan, M.I., Synthesis of Mono- and Diarylacetylenes, J.Organomet. Chem., 395, pp.227-229 (1990).
29.Al-Hassan, M.I., Synthesis of trans-N,N,N-Triethyl-2-[4-(2-phenylethenl)phenoxy]ethanammonium Iodide, J.Organomet. Chem., 386, pp.395-397 (1990).
30.Al-Lohedan, H.A. and Al-Hassan, M.I., Micellar Effects upon Spontaneous and Alkaline Hydrolysis of t-Butyl Phenyl Carbonate, Bull. Chem. Soc. Japan, 63, pp. 2997-3000 (1990).
31.Al-Hassan, M.I., A One-Step Synthesis of clomid Intermediate, OppI, 23, pp. 116-117 (1991).
32.Al-Hassan, M.I., and Miller. R.B., Synthesis of B,B-Disubstitute Acroleins Intermediates, J.Saudi Chem. Soc., 4, pp. 191-196 (2000).
33.Al-Hassan, M.I., and Miller, R.B., Cleavage of Vinyl Carbon-Silicon Bond in–trimethylsilyl Allylic Alcohols. Synth. Commun., 31,19(2001).
34.Al-Hassan, M.I.,Hydroalumination and Bromination of 1-(Phenylselenyl)-1-Alkynes, synth. Commun.,2,23 (2001).
35.Al-Hassan, M.I., and Miller, R,B., A Highly Stereoselective Synthesis of Tetrasubstituted Olefins via Carbometalation of Alkynylsilanes, J.Saudi Chem. Soc., 8(2001).
36.Al-Hassan, M.I., Oxidation of Alcohols by Zinc Manganate (In press).